After watching a rugby match in Bordeaux, a man from Ireland is currently in intensive care with probable botulism

A woman in her 30s was said to have passed away as a result of the epidemic, which French officials believe may be connected to the sardines served in a well-known restaurant.

After watching Ireland's Rugby World Cup match in Bordeaux over the weekend, an Irish supporter is currently receiving urgent treatment in a hospital in Spain for what is believed to be a case of botulism.

The man's family has made a plea to Irish supporters coming home from Bordeaux to be made aware of the signs of the potentially life-threatening condition. Early identification is essential for effective treatment, therefore this family wants Irish fans to be aware of the symptoms.

According to the French authorities, an epidemic that was related to sardines that were served at a wine bar called Tchin Tchin in the city resulted in the death of a lady who was 32 years old and the hospitalization of almost a dozen individuals.

Following their exposure to botulism in Bordeaux, the HSE has reported that a "small number" of Irish nationals are currently undergoing treatment in France. It was recommended that "urgent medical care" be sought out by anyone who had eaten sardines at the wine bar between September 4 and September 10 and was experiencing any symptoms of illness. On Tuesday, it was brought to their attention that an epidemic had occurred.

Botulism is a potentially fatal neurological disorder that is brought on by exposure to a toxic toxin that is generated by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It can happen as a result of consuming foods that contain the toxin, as a result of the formation of spores within the gut, or as a result of wounds. The most common kind of botulism is food botulism, and the onset of symptoms of paralysis often occurs between 12 and 36 hours after eating food that contains the toxin. The incubation period can range anywhere from 12 to 72 hours. People who have the condition have a mortality rate of between 5 and 10 percent.

It was reported that the Tchin Tchin pub was packed with Irish fans over the weekend, as Ireland kicked off their World Cup campaign in Bordeaux with a victory over Romania on September 9th. According to the French Ministry of Public Health, the outbreak is thought to have begun with sardines that were eaten in France between September 4th and September 10th.

The United States Department of State has stated that it is aware of the epidemic, but that it would not comment on any specific consular situation.

The local health authority of Nouvelle-Aquitaine, ARS Nouvelle-Aquitaine, said in a statement that the bulk of patients suspected of having botulism who were seeking treatment at University Hospital Bordeaux were from the United States of America, Canada, and Germany. In addition, it asked those who had recently eaten at the wine bar to be on the lookout for any symptoms and to report them immediately.

The bar was examined by officers from the local department of public protection, and samples were taken to test for the presence of toxic substances. Within the next three days, we should get the results. Officials in charge of public health have requested that the wine bar limit its offerings to wines and foods that are not likely to pose a danger of botulism in the customers who consume them.

According to Dr. Greg Martin, who is the head of the HSE Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC), the only people who potentially be impacted by the epidemic are those who ate sardines at the pub on the dates in question.

He stated that botulism is a condition that might result in death."Sometimes people experience diarrhea and vomiting, but the most common symptoms are hazy vision and difficulty swallowing and speaking," the doctor said. The condition can cause issues with one's vision in addition to leading to paralysis.